Orders and enforcement (COVID-19)

All communities and individuals must follow federal (Government of Canada), provincial (Government of Ontario), and municipal orders for gatherings, closures, face coverings, and travel.

Provincial governments, municipal governments, police services, and Public Health Sudbury & Districts all have a role to play in enforcing orders and closures.

Time-limited measures and restrictions (Government of Ontario) will help slow the increase in COVID-19 cases, preserve public health system capacity, allow for progress to be made with vaccination, and save lives.

Roadmap to Reopen Ontario

The Roadmap to Reopen Ontario is a three-step plan to safely and gradually reopen Ontario. This strategy is based on the ongoing progress of province-wide vaccination rates and continued improvement in COVID-19 cases and hospitalization rates.

Ontario is now in Step 3 of the roadmap as of Friday July 16, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. 

Learn more about the Roadmap to Reopen Ontario (Government of Ontario).

On this page


Employers must take precautions to protect the health of the workforce and support measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Workplaces must comply with applicable provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (Government of Ontario) and its Regulations.

Learn more about:

Public gatherings

Local context and conditions inform what is permitted in terms of public gathering limits and public health measures. Find out about the latest public health measures, advice and restrictions as we continue to respond to COVID-19. Stay home, stay safe, save lives.

Organizers who have questions about exceptions are encouraged to contact Public Health Sudbury & Districts or call 311 in Greater Sudbury.

Recreational facilities

For more information on facilities near you, visit your municipality’s website or, call 311 if you are seeking information for Greater Sudbury.

For up-to-date alerts and information on provincial orders, visit the Government of Ontario’s emergency status on COVID-19.

School closures

For up-to-date information on school closures visit the Ministry of Education website.

Community events and services

For information about community events or services affected COVID-19, please consult your local municipality or individual event organizers of service providers.

Quarantine (self-isolation) after returning to Canada

There is an Emergency Order (Government of Canada) under the Quarantine Act (Government of Canada) that requires every person entering Canada by air, sea, or land to self-isolate (quarantine) for 14 days whether they have symptoms or not.

The Greater Sudbury Police Service and the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) follow-up on local complaints.

Enforcement of closures and orders

Gatherings, closures and physical distancing

Depending on the issue and the location, complaints pertaining to emergency orders and the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, 2020 S.O. 2020, c. 17  (Government of Ontario) are investigated by:

This includes investigating complaints such as public gatherings, places not following the closure order, and enhanced public health measures  in public places.

Report an incident/register a complaint

To register a complaint in Greater Sudbury, please call 311 (City of Greater Sudbury). The incident will be forwarded to the most appropriate agency to respond.

To register a complaint in the districts of Sudbury and Manitoulin, please contact the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) at 1.888.310.1122 or Public Health Sudbury & Districts at 705.522.9200 (toll-free 1.866.522.9200).

Please do not use 911 for these calls.

This item was last modified on September 24, 2021