Employment opportunity: Public Health Inspector – Full-time Permanent – Recruitment #20-078 (CUPE) (effective as soon as possible, will remain open until filled)
Division: Health Protection Division
Location: Manitoulin Island Office – 6163 Highway 542, Mindemoya
Salary: $35.86 – $42.54/hour (as per CUPE collective agreement)
Public Health Sudbury & Districts is currently seeking a certified Public Health Inspector to work in the Health Protection Division. Consideration will also be provided to applicants who are pending Board of Certification examination results and to those who have applied to attend the next Board of Certification.
Reporting to the Manager, the Public Health Inspector promotes and protects individual and community health through education and enforcement of pertinent provincial Acts and Regulations, municipal by-laws and agency policies. Legislation includes the Health Protection and Promotion Act, the Healthy Menu Choices Act, the Skin Cancer Prevention Act, the Ontario Building Code Act, the Provincial Offences Act, and the Smoke-Free Ontario Act as well as relevant Regulations.
The Public Health Inspector is responsible for taking action to reduce the incidence of communicable disease and health hazards in the community.
- Provides technical expertise and field support for all programs by reviewing plans, inspecting, evaluating and applying requirements to ensure compliance with pertinent legislation.
- Using the Provincial Offences Act, acts as a Provincial Offences Officer to enforce legislation under the Health Protection & Promotion Act, the Healthy Menu Choices Act, the Skin Cancer Prevention Act, the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, the Building Code Act, and their respective Regulations.
- Responds to after-hours calls and acts as an in-office duty inspector and after-hours on-call inspector as assigned.
- Investigates cases and outbreaks of enteric diseases and provides follow-up as required.
- Develops and presents training courses and workshops to food handlers, pool operators, small drinking water system operators, and other sectors as needed using appropriate teaching aids.
- Contributes to the development of program plans and develops, plans, implements, coordinates and evaluates assigned projects in consultation with the manager and other team members as required.
- Excellent organizational abilities and technical competence with a high degree of initiative.
- Ability to work co-operatively and effectively in a multi-disciplinary work environment.
- Demonstrated computer skills.
- Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Environmental Health or its equivalent.
- Current Certification in Public Health Inspection from the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors (CIPHI).
- Consideration will be given to individuals who have completed CIPHI’s Board of Certification examination and are pending examination results and to those candidates who will be sitting the upcoming Board of Certification.
- Current certification or ability to obtain certification in specified time frame as required by the Ontario Building Code (this is a requirement only for permanent Public Health Inspectors).
- Minimum of 2 years experience in public health inspection is preferred.
- Experience enforcing the Health Protection and Promotion Act, the Healthy Menu Choices Act, the Skin Cancer Prevention Act, Part 8 of the Ontario Building Code Act, the Provincial Offences Act, and the Smoke- Free Ontario Act as well as relevant Regulations is an asset.
- Experience using the Hedgehog Inspection program is considered an asset.
- Proficiency in both official languages is an asset.
- Maintains current Ontario driver’s license and has access to a reliable vehicle with agency required insurance to fulfill position requirements.
- Satisfactory police reference check in accordance with agency policy for those for whom this is required.
Send resumés with cover letter to:
Human Resources, Corporate Services Division
Public Health Sudbury & Districts
1300 Paris Street, Sudbury ON P3E 3A3
Please include the recruitment number in the subject line.
Tel: 705.522.9200, ext. 570
Will remain open until filled.
Learn more about Public Health Sudbury & Districts.
Learn more about interviews, collection of information, and accommodation.
This item was last modified on October 30, 2020