Employment opportunity: Smoke Free Ontario Act Test Shoppers – Casual (sporadic – no minimum guarantee of hours) – Recruitment #20-012 (Non-Union)
Division: Health Protection
Location: Main Office – 1300 Paris St., Sudbury
Salary: $13.15 per hour
Public Health Sudbury & Districts is currently seeking Smoke Free Ontario Act Test Shoppers who will be working under the guidance of a Smoke Free Ontario Act Enforcement Officer. The SFOA Test Shoppers will assist with monitoring retailers in the Sudbury & District area for compliance with youth access restrictions under the Smoke-Free Ontario Act.
- Attempt to purchase tobacco, e-cigarettes and e-cigarette components at various retail premises.
- Write detailed and accurate notes with respect to their actions and observations made while attempting to purchase the tobacco or e-cigarette product.
- Communicate the events that occurred to the Tobacco Enforcement Officer accompanying them.
- Identify the person who sold them the product.
- Attend and give credible testimony in court (sometimes during school hours).
- Understand the tobacco control program including its goals and objectives.
- Be willing and able to ask retailers for e-cigarettes, components of e-cigarettes, and tobacco products.
- Proven age requirement (14 to 15 years of age).
- Currently enrolled in secondary school.
- Be willing and able to identify persons who sell them e-cigarettes, e-cigarette components or tobacco products.
- Be willing and able to allow photos (of themselves) to be used as evidence.
- Ability and willingness to attend court, when needed.
- Strong observation skills, and ability to recall details and enter these observations legibly into a notebook.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-confidence and self-assuredness with an ability to maintain confidential information.
- High standards of personal integrity, honesty, and respect.
- Ability to grasp and understand concepts relating to law enforcement and prosecutions.
- Ability to think under pressure and use judgement in situations.
- Proficiency in both official languages is an asset.
Send resumés with cover letter to:
Human Resources, Corporate Services Division
Public Health Sudbury & Districts
1300 Paris Street, Sudbury, ON P3E 3A3
Please include the recruitment number in the subject line.
Tel: 705.522.9200 ext. 570
The position will remain advertised until filled.
Learn more about Public Health Sudbury & Districts.
Learn more about interviews, collection of information, and accommodation.
This item was last modified on October 30, 2020