Personal Services Settings
Personal services are done on your body and include anything from hair cutting to tattooing and everything in between.
Inspection results are available online. Check Before You Go!
Public health inspectors inspect personal services settings (PSS) such as hair and body art salons, esthetics shops, tattoo parlours, and electrolysis premises regularly.
Our inspections are directed by the Infection Prevention and Control Best Practices for Personal Services Settings Protocol. This protocol sets out minimum standards for operators in the areas of personal hygiene, cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of equipment, and maintenance of the facility to help protect the public.
How often are personal services settings inspected?
A premises is assigned a risk rating of high, moderate, or low risk on an annual basis. Their risk rating is based on the services that are provided and how much risk there is of contracting blood-borne and other types of infections for both clients and personal services workers during the delivery of personal service. A personal services setting is subject to an inspection:
- not less than once every 4 months for a high-risk setting
- not less than once every 6 months for a moderate-risk setting
- not less than once every 12 months for a low-risk setting
Public health inspectors conduct additional inspections for many reasons:
- to follow-up on an any problems that were found during a routine inspection
- to investigate complaints or reports received by the general public
If you see unsafe or questionable infection control practices at a personal services setting or think that you became infected after visiting a personal services setting, report it to us online or call 705.522.9200, ext. 464 (toll-free 1.866.522.9200). A public health inspector will conduct an inspection of the premises.
Check Before You Go! Inspection and enforcement information
For inspection and enforcement information, visit Check Before You Go! or contact 705.522.9200 (toll-free 1.866.522.9200). Check Before You Go! has information about required and follow-up inspections, infractions, convictions, as well as orders imposed by Public Health Sudbury & Districts.
You can find information related to:
- food premises
- personal services settings
- public pools and spas
- tobacco and electronic cigarette vendors
You could get sick if improper infection control practices are not followed in personal services settings. Blood-borne infections such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and HIV as well as other bacterial and fungal infections can be transmitted in these settings.
Remember, you do not have to see blood or body fluids on equipment or surfaces for infections to spread. It is important to make a safe choice before getting a personal service. Protect yourself from getting a bloodborne disease.
We are committed to:
- working with owners, operators, and staff of personal services settings to ensure safe services are provided
- reducing the risk of getting infections to clients and personal services settings workers while receiving or providing personal services
- disclosing routine inspection reports, convictions, and orders of all personal services settings
This item was last modified on April 23, 2018