Personal services: frequently asked questions

Is inspection and enforcement information available online for personal services?

Yes. For inspection and enforcement information, visit Check Before You Go! or contact 705.522.9200, ext. 464 (toll-free 1.866.522.9200).

Check Before You Go! has information about required and follow-up inspections, infractions, convictions, as well as orders imposed by Public Health Sudbury & Districts.

Errors or omissions in results posted online:

Public Health Sudbury & Districts makes every effort to ensure that inspection results available online are accurate and up-to-date. Please report potential errors or omissions to us online or call 705.522.9200, ext. 464 (toll-free 1.866.522.9200).

What is a personal service?

Personal services are done on your body and include anything from hair cutting to tattooing and everything in between.

Personal services include, but are not limited to:

Who inspects personal services settings?

Public health inspectors routinely inspect all personal services located within the Sudbury and Manitoulin districts to make sure that they comply with the Personal Service Settings Regulation. Routine inspections are also referred to as “compliance” or “required” inspections.

How often are personal services settings inspected?

Our inspections are directed by the Infection Prevention and Control Protocol and the Personal Service Settings Regulation. The regulation sets out minimum standards for operators in the areas of prohibited services, personal hygiene, cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of equipment, records and setting requirements to help protect the public.

A premises is inspected at a minimum on an annual basis.

Public health inspectors conduct additional inspections for many reasons:

What if a personal services setting is non-compliant?

Public health inspectors work closely with owners and operators to ensure compliance with the regulation. When this is not possible or when there is an imminent risk to public health, public health inspectors will issue tickets or orders under the authority of the Health Protection and Promotion Act (HPPA).

Recent enforcement activities in Sudbury and districts are posted on our disclosure site, Check Before You Go!.

How can you report unsafe infection control practices?

If you see unsafe or questionable infection control practices at a personal service setting or think that you became infected after visiting a personal services setting, report it to us online or call 705.522.9200, ext. 464 (toll-free 1.866.522.9200). A public health inspector will conduct an inspection of the premises and contact you.

How can you learn more about infection control best practices?

To learn more about infection prevention and control best practices, contact a public health inspector at 705.522.9200, ext. 464 (toll-free 1.866.522.9200).

This item was last modified on November 14, 2019