Financial assistance programs for oral health services
The Health Unit offers financial assistance programs for oral health services for children who are 17 and under.
To qualify for emergency/essential dental care, you must:
- have a clinical need
- be able to show financial hardship. You will be asked some questions about how you or your family would be affected if you had to pay for dental treatment. For example, would you be able to pay household bills if you had to pay for dental treatment?
To apply for emergency care, contact your dentist’s office or the Sudbury & District Health Unit to find out if they participate in Healthy Smiles Ontario.
If you don’t have a dentist, contact the Health Unit immediately for more information (705.522.9200, ext. 236 or toll-free 1.866.522.9200).
Children receiving emergency and/or essential care are covered for 12 months from their date of enrollment. They must re-apply at the end of 12 months to determine if they’re still eligible.
For those who qualify, treatment services are offered to children and youth who have:
- tooth pain
- large cavities
- a tooth that needs to be pulled (emergency extractions)
Basic dental services
Healthy Smiles Ontario (Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care) is for children 17 and under who do not have access to any form of dental coverage. If they are eligible, children get regular dental services at no cost to their families. The program covers regular visits to a dentist or dental hygienist. It covers a full range of services including check-ups, cleaning, fillings and x-rays.
To qualify for basic dental services, the child or youth:
- must be 17 and under
- must be a resident of Ontario
- must be a member of a household that meets the income eligibility requirements (Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care)
Applying for basic dental services:
- You must fill out and submit an application form to see if you qualify.
- Our staff can help make sure you have properly completed the form and have all the supporting documents needed to apply. Please call 705.522.9200, ext 236 (toll-free 1.866.522.9200).
This item was last modified on March 28, 2018