Guidance for event planning (COVID-19)
When planning on hosting an event either indoors or outdoors, it’s important to be COVID-safe. Being COVID-safe means assessing your actions, thinking things through, and taking deliberate precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. A successful COVID-safe event must follow the letter of instruction (LOI) and public health measures, advice and restrictions (Government of Ontario) and includes proof of vaccination when applicable (Government of Ontario).
Here are a few tips you should follow when planning an event:
- Develop a COVID-19 safety plan and find out if there are additional restrictions from the facility you will need to follow during your event. If you would like to have your COVID-19 plan reviewed by Public Health, please send your plan by email to Health_Protection@phsd.ca. Although Public Health cannot approve your plan, we can provide recommendations that may help to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission during your event.
- Limit the number of participants so that you can make sure physical distancing will be easily maintained.
- Advise participants that face coverings are required for indoor events (some exemptions apply) and encourage the use of face coverings if the event is outdoors.
- Ensure the event takes place in a location with lots of space and good ventilation.
- Find out if your event requires a special event food permit (PDF < 1MB).
- Have a cleaning and disinfecting (Government of Ontario, PDF) plan for your event.
- Plan to seat members of a household at the same table.
- Advise participants to complete a self-assessment (Government of Ontario) and not to attend if they feel unwell or have a COVID-19 symptom.
- Ensure that participants can practise good hand hygiene by washing their hands and consider providing alcohol-based hand sanitizer at entryways.
For size limits on indoor and outdoor organized events or social gatherings and other instructions please visit in Regulation 364/20 under Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, 2020, S.O. 2020, c. 17 (Government of Ontario).
For large scale events, please refer to the following sections for further information:
- Concert venues, theatres and cinemas (Government of Ontario)
- Fairs, rural exhibitions and festivals (Government of Ontario)
- Horse racing, car racing and other similar venues (Government of Ontario)
- Outdoor drive-in and drive through events (Government of Ontario)
Learn more about organized public events and social gatherings from the Government of Ontario.
This item was last modified on January 7, 2022