Additional Flu Vaccine Supply: FluMist® Quadrivalent Intra-nasal
December 4, 2020
*Cette information est seulement disponible en anglais.
To: Local Health System Partners
FOR IMMEDIATE ATTENTION
Ontario acquires 200 000 doses of FluMist® Quadrivalent Vaccine to address increased demand for flu vaccine
Due to concerns related to the simultaneous circulation of influenza and COVID-19, there has been greater uptake of the flu vaccine this year. To meet the needs of the population, the province has been investigating means to procure additional doses of the vaccine. This advisory alert announces the purchase of 200 000 doses of FluMist® from AstraZeneca by the province and provides key information about the vaccine.
FluMist® Key Information
- FluMist® Quadrivalent is a live attenuated vaccine (Q-LAIV) administered intra-nasally.
- The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) states that there is no preferential recommendation between the Q-LAIV and the regular dose Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine (QIV) for intra-muscular administration.
- NACI recommends that QIV, instead of Q-LAIV, should be used for health care workers providing care to those with immune compromising conditions. If a health care worker, or another caregiver, receives Q-LAIV and is providing care to individuals with severe immune compromising conditions they should wait two weeks following receipt of the Q-LAIV before continuing to provide care to such individuals.
- FluMist® is licensed for use in individuals 2 to 59 years of age. Publicly funded FluMist® will be available for individuals 5 to 59 years of age at participating pharmacies across the province. It will also be publicly funded and available for individuals 2 to 59 years of age by Public Health Sudbury & Districts and some primary care providers in our service area.
- Please consult the Ministry of Health’s Health Care Provider Qs & As: FluMist® Quadrivalent factsheet (PDF, 206 KB) for additional information.
Original Signed By
Dr. Penny Sutcliffe
Medical Officer of Health and Chief Executive Officer
NOTE: All Advisory Alerts are found on our website.
This item was last modified on December 4, 2020