Immediate reporting of specific events following AstraZeneca/ COVISHIELD COVID-19 vaccines
May 14, 2021
*Cette information est seulement disponible en anglais.
To: Local Health System Partners
FOR IMMEDIATE ATTENTION
Enhanced surveillance and immediate reporting of specific adverse events associated with AstraZeneca/COVIDSHIELD COVID-19 vaccines.
As part of enhanced COVID-19 vaccine surveillance for adverse events following immunization (AEFI), the Public Health Agency of Canada and Public Health Ontario have requested the expedited reporting of specific events following the AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD vaccines.
The following required actions will ensure timely assessment of adverse events associated with these vaccines.
- Immediately report to Public Health any of the following events/diagnosis
- Vaccine-Induced Immune Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia
- Thrombotic events (e.g., cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, venous thromboembolism, stroke, limb ischemia)
- Hemorrhagic disease or bleeding disorders
- Other coagulation or blood disorders (e.g., disseminated intravascular coagulation, hemolytic uremic syndrome, complement disorder)
If feasible, please provide information on the client’s platelet count and results of any recent COVID-19 testing.
If you are unsure whether to report an AEFI, be proactive and report the event.
How to Report
- Call public health immediately at 705.522.9200, ext. 458 (toll-free 1.866.522.9200) during business hours or after-hours at 705.688.4366.
- Complete the Adverse Events Following Immunization Report Form available at: https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/A/2020/aefi-reporting-form.pdf?la=en. Fax to Public Health Sudbury & Districts’ confidential fax line at: 705.677.9618.
- Additional client laboratory results and testing information may be faxed along with the AEFI report form. Please ensure the proper demographic information is contained on each page of accompanying documents.
As you are aware, all AEFIs are reportable to Public Health. Please continue to report all AEFIs by using the AEFI form and your usual business practices. Please contact the Immunization Program at 705.522.9200, ext. 458 for any questions related to vaccines and/or AEFI reporting.
Original Signed By
Dr. Penny Sutcliffe
Medical Officer of Health and Chief Executive Officer
NOTE: All Advisory Alerts are found on our website.
This item was last modified on May 14, 2021